Friday, July 22, 2011

Oreo is crate-trained! So proud of our girl

When I foster, I usually only have about two weeks with the pup.

When the pup goes back to the SPCA to be available for adoption, I want her to be as "adoptable" as possible. I am pleased to report that Oreo is now crate-trained. I open the door for her, and she runs into the crate. Crate-training a puppy is easy, especially if the pup is treat-motivated.

The most important things about crate-training are:

* The crate must always be a "happy" place for the dog
* The crate can never be used as punishment
* The crate is viewed by the pup as her "den." The crate also should be viewed by the human as the pup's "den."
* The crate is great for when you are out of the house (as long as that time is limited), or when you are sleeping. Never crate for extended periods of time.

Oreo is happy in her crate. She runs in there, gets a treat, wags her tail, and lays down for a quick nap. She is so precious!


Click this link for more information about crate training, from The Humane Society of the United States:
Crate Training a Puppy

My precious girl, "Oreo," on the patio

No comments:

Post a Comment