Thursday, February 16, 2012

"Hello, my name is Joanna. I am a foster failure."

fail·ure
n.
1. The condition or fact of not achieving the desired end or ends
2. One that fails
3. The condition or fact of being insufficient or falling short
4. A cessation of proper functioning or performance
5. Nonperformance of what is requested or expected; omission
6. The act or fact of failing to pass a course, test, or assignment
7. A decline in strength or effectiveness
8. The act or fact of becoming bankrupt or insolvent

It is official. I have adopted a foster dog. The dog I adopted is number 36...Isabelle. That's right...my 36th foster dog. I knew it was going to happen when I refused to send photos to my Foster Coordinator, Michelle, at Franklin County Humane Society. I didn't want anyone else to look at her photos and fall in love. It was confirmed in my mind when my husband called her "Belly," and said that he loved her.

"Belly" is a mini-doxie that fits right in with our family. She is approximately two years old, black and tan, and was recently mommy to a litter of pups. I didn't get to meet her puppies, and it is a damn good thing. I would probably have to apply for a kennel license and adopt them all.

Adopting a dog is always an exciting thing, but the job of the Foster Coordinator is to make sure you keep on fostering, so of course Michelle said "Does this mean I'm going to lose you as a foster?" when I broke the news to her that I want to keep Belly.

I am a foster "failure," as defined above, but keep in mind that while I didn't finish this fostering experience the way I had originally planned, I did make a mini-doxie a very happy member of a doxie family. Sam (my dachshund) and Grace (my first mini-dachshund) love her.

The question remains to those who are reading this...

Am I going to continue to foster dogs?

Why, of course I am. I'm addicted to the "feel-good" that comes from it.

Left to right, Isabelle "Belly"...then Gracie...then Sam Sam

There are local shelters that need your help. Can you open your home to a dog or cat for two weeks?

Franklin County Humane Society: www.plannedpethoodrockymount.com

Roanoke Valley SPCA: www.rvspca.org

No comments:

Post a Comment