Friday, May 27, 2011

Every Dog Deserves a Waiting List

Some of you already know that Omega has an adopter already! I am so happy for them both. Turns out that due to the power of a little Facebook love, he had others who were also seriously interested in him as well. During the two weeks that he stayed in our home, Omega developed a waiting list at the Roanoke Valley SPCA.

This is exciting news!

A sobering statistic, though, is that about 4,000,000 unwanted pets are euthanized each year. Where is the waiting list for each one of those animals? It seems to me that each one of those beings should have had people lined up waiting for them to join their homes.

The study where I found this information is located online:
Survey Finds Americans Underestimate Homeless Pet Numbers


The title of the article leads to another interesting discovery. 76% of respondents surveyed underestimated the number of pets that are euthanized every year in America by 75%. The respondents thought that 1,000,000 or fewer unwanted pets are euthanized each year. Being a pet foster parent, I realize the importance of my volunteer work. But I have to admit, I wouldn't have guessed as high as 4,000,000 either. FOUR MILLION. FOUR MILLION. Unbelievable.

The study found that 76% of new pets were acquired from a source other than animal shelters. WHY? Why is this happening? What do people not understand about this problem? I cannot believe that so many pets were "bought" from puppy mills, pet stores, and breeders...when there are so many pets (FOUR MILLION...FOUR MILLION...FOUR MILLION) killed each year.

Every dog I have had in my home deserves to have a waiting list of potential adopters. Maybe I am taking this a little too personally, but I would be lying if I said that each dog that I have had in my home has not influenced me in a positive way. As a foster mom, I realize the importance of helping as many pups as possible...I can't adopt them all (or I'll end up on that Animal Hoarders show). But you bet your buttons I would be standing in line to hang out on the couch with any one of them again.

Please spread the word to your friends and family to consider adopting a shelter pet before EVER considering the "purchase" of a pet store animal. I would consider it a personal favor.

A heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS to my new friend Josh and his sweet baby, Omega.


No comments:

Post a Comment