Friday, April 1, 2011

Moments

I don't let my pups sleep in my bed.  I like to crate-train my pups.  They sleep in their crates.  They enjoy their crates.  Every once in awhile, however, it is nice to sleep on the couch with my dogs.  Right now I feel lucky that I have Jackson sleeping soundly on my legs, while Sam and Grace lay at the end of the couch.  I think about "moments" that are created in a foster care situation.  This is, indeed, a sweet "moment" in my foster pup's life.

Are there downsides to fostering?  Sure.  After a few weeks, the puppy will be ready to be available for adoption to his/her forever family.  You have to take the puppy BACK.  It is difficult.  I am not going to lie and say that I have not "boo-hoo'ed" my way driving home after taking a foster puppy back.

The pros of fostering dogs greatly outweigh the cons.  Three of the pros:
  • Fostering pups is a cost-free volunteer opportunity.  Food and supplies are provided.
  • You make a long-term difference in a short-term period.  Socializing, housebreaking, and minor training will create a more adoptable puppy.
  • Puppy kisses are so sweet.
I am so lucky to be sitting on this couch with my two perma-pups and my sweet little sleepy foster.  I am grateful to the Roanoke Valley SPCA for this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment